Serve this with plain white and any curries or with chapathi's, parathas and appam.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes-1 hour
Mutton- 1/2 kg ( preferably boneless )
Onion- 1 medium sized ( sliced thinly )
Green chilly- 2
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tsp
Fresh grated coconut- 2 tbsp
Lemon- juice of 1/2 a lemon
Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
To be ground:
Coriander seeds- 3 tsp
Red chillies- 4
Black peppercorns- 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon- 1/4 inch stick
1. Dry fry all the ingredients in the to be ground list and grind into a fine powder or paste by adding little
2. Wash the mutton well, marinate with 1/2 of the ground masala, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder,
garam masala and lemon juice for about 1 hour.
3. Cook the marinated mutton in a pressure cooker for upto 5 whistles without adding any water or oil.
4. Heat oil in another kadai or heavy bottomed pan, add onions, curry leaves, green chillies and coconut.
Saute well until the onions look lightly brown in colour.
5. Now add the cooked mutton, stir well. Add salt to taste, cover it with a lid and cook until all the water
gets absorbed and it looks completely dry.
6. Serve warm with rice, chapathi's or parathas.
Whole spices can also be replaced with spice powder.
To get nice smoky flavour like barbeque, add thinly sliced lemon at the end before switching off the stove, stir it for about 5 minutes. Then remove the lemon before serving.